Thursday, March 18, 2010

And Now, A Grand Departure...

...from the theme of travel. Well, sort of. I wanted to recount a dream, perhaps the most incredible I´ve ever had or could ever hope to have, before it evaporated forever from my memory. Of course, if you want to get right down to it, dreams could be considered the most ancient, raw means of travel. Before the age of dirt cheap air transport, ¨gringo trails¨ and vapid travel blogs, how else could an ambitious, lustful man find his adventures?

Dream, begin:

I´m on a street, any street, with my father. No context. There is a vague sense of anxiety, which makes sense, considering my conscious life at the time. Suddenly, serving as a catalyst towards general panic, a young woman is struck by a passing bus. Her legs are melted into the asphalt, bonded at the hips, she is writhing in pain, grotesque, wailing. I try to call 911, but each time I dial and press send, the number alters itself, adding an extraneous character. Terrible frustration. My father is equally panicked, and suggest that my phone must be broken! Nonchalantly, I say, ¨Ehh, no big deal, it´s just a dream.¨ ...What?

Full stop.

I look at my hand. A tingly wave of ecstasy rushes through me, permetating every anxious cell of my body. I am reborn, everything is new, everything is ok. The girl is not real, the suffering but a ghastly illusion--a self-inflicted betrayal, a manifestion of recent uncertainty and probably some deep-seated shit.

I make a like a tree and get the hell out of there.

Running free! There is no thought process. I don´t sit down to sip an espresso and contemplate my newfound freedom. I stop in front of the first person I see in the street, a woman jogging, and say something like, ¨Come with me?¨

and in one motion I take her into my arms and launch, soaring up, up, to nowhere in particular, with (slightly surprisingly, in retrospect), no lustful intentions, no alterior motives whatsoever, just the purest impulse to share my gift, without hesitation, without pretense.

And that´s it.

Ok, let´s all go google ¨lucid dreams¨and figure this business out. First one to reach lucidity gets a cheesy Ecuadorian postcard!

No comments:

Post a Comment